As summer quickly approaches, we welcome warmer weather and longer nights. As we enjoy the change in season, it is important to prepare your vehicle. Just like in winter, there are many maintenance services that should be taken into consideration this spring and summer to ensure that your vehicle is operating at peak efficiency.
As we all know, winter and its harsh conditions have a major impact on Hamilton roads. These conditions can have serious implications on your vehicle, which is why it is important to complete the following:
1. Wiper blades: Always make sure to change your wiper blades every 6 months. If this is not completed, it can cause streaking, smearing and possibly scratch your windshield. This simple precaution will prove to be helpful when driving in spring showers.
2. Tires: If you have winter tires, change over to your all-season tires. All three of our locations: Image Honda, Queenston on the Mountain and Queenston on Centennial provide winter tire storage – please contact our dealerships for details. If you do not have winter tires, you may want to consider a tire rotation, a service that will allow for even wear. Winter can be hard on our tires and rotation will help extend their life and allow for improved handling and braking.
3. Car wash: Give your car a good clean and make sure that all the salt is removed to prevent exterior rust. It is also important to wash the underneath of your vehicle as hidden salt can lead to rust and corrosion.
4. Change your oil: Always make sure that your oil is changed every 8,000 km or less, depending on the year of your vehicle. Remember – older vehicles tend to burn oil faster. For vehicles with an Oil Life Monitor or Maintenance Minder, your oil much be changed at least once every 12 months, regardless of the % on your monitoring system.
5. Check all your fluids: Fluids tend to deplete faster in the winter since the cold weather causes our engine to work harder. Therefore, it is crucial to make sure that all of your fluids are topped up for the spring.
6. Check your brake system: The winter months can be hard on your brakes. Listen for excessive grinding, screeching or squealing. Have a Brake Maintenance Service performed, which will remove salt and debris and lubricate all your brake components to extend the life of your brakes.
7. Alignment: All the potholes and rifts in Hamilton’s pavement can wreak havoc on your vehicle’s alignment, which can cause premature wear to your tires and front-end components. An alignment service will increase tire life, and improve steering control and safety.